5.26.2009

Appreciating My Insides


Everyone is different. No one is the same. These have been grilled into my head since I was little. I still remember being in church at age 5 and singing "Red, yellow black or white, all are precious in His sight."


But those are external. Have you ever really thought about the internal differences that make us so diverse?


I am a naturally talkative person. I am comfortable in social situations, can chat it up with complete strangers and am confident in myself. Being a waitress for 3 years fed this personality trait and helped me fine tune it. It is easy for me to sympathize, empathize and spew out a bunch of professional sounding lines in seconds. It's natural, it's genuine and it is part of me and my personality.


I've never really stopped to think how it would be if it were the other way around. What if I felt shy in social situations and uncomfortable talking to strangers? What if nerves constantly surrounded my every move in life? I wonder if I would be successful, I would almost certainly be in a different career field. I take my outgoing personality for granted and I shouldn't.


External differences between 2 people are obvious. They are there staring you in the face. The next time you are speaking with someone and start to feel impatient or taken aback by their attitude put yourself in their shoes. What seems logical in demeanor and attitude to you, may be coming from someone complete different internally.


Appreciate who you are, inside and out. And don't forget to appreciate and understand who others may be as well.

3 comments:

  1. This is something that I take into account when I interview. Some people are naturally gift public speakers - in any setting. Others don't do as well, but if you listen carefully, you can hear the skills and abilities.

    Some of my best hires have been those who didn't ace the first interview.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific post Kelly and I'm really glad to see you writing as I think you have some powerful things to say. You've tapped into an interesting topic and I think (unfortunately) that most don't take the time to get past the external to even consider the internal. Thank for reminding us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. My mom actually just sent me one of those cheesy motivational posters and a line from it read "treat people the way your would like to be treated." Good advice. Just found your blog - I will be reading from now own. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete